I do in fact sometimes serve a purpose.

Friday, July 9, 2010 I had probably the best moment of my ultrasound career so far today. Several weeks ago I had a patient come in for a routine kidney ultrasound and just by chance I happened to see a very large aortic aneurysm. Very large. He was sent to a larger hospital to see a surgeon that day and they did the surgery early the next morning. I never really gave it a second thought after that. So many patients come through each day and since our clinic is so small almost all of them with any kind of significant problem are referred elsewhere, so I rarely see the patients again or hear any kind of follow up. But today I got a message that someone was in the waiting room that needed to talk to me. This patient and his wife were out there. He gave me the biggest hug and told me how grateful he was that I had found the aneurysm and that I had without a doubt saved his life. It was one of the few times I have ever had a patient make me cry. They were so sweet and got me this adorable little hippo with a flower and balloon. It was so wonderful to see how I made a difference for these people. I love my job and days like this make me even more grateful for getting the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives.

1 comment:

  1. so proud to say that i work with such incredible people like you that make a difference in their patients lives everyday! what a sweet thing for that lil ol man to do, brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete